Frontier gap year banner

iGap Newsletter

Backpacker Travel Insurance Guide

Useful tips for when you’re looking for your travel insurance policy

  • The government recommends a policy with £1 million of medical cover when travelling within the EU or £2 million when travelling outside the EU.
  • As a guideline, we recommend £2 million for medical expenses, £1 million for personal liability cover, cancellation cover of at least the value of your holiday, £1,500 for your baggage and £250 for your cash
  • Always purchase cover from a well known and recognized insurer – they can usually be depended on to honour valid claims quickly and in full.
  • Where are you going and how long are you going for? Make sure you’re covered for every destination and the whole of your trip.
  • Are the activities you intend to try covered? Make a list of anything you think you might do while you’re away – bungee jumping, sky diving, riding a scooter with greater than 50cc engine, skiing, scuba diving, horse riding, jet-skiing.
  • Can you add an activity easily at a later date if you decide to do something not originally covered?
  • Check the details for your activities – eg. Is there a depth limit for scuba diving? Can you ski off piste?
  • Check third party liability – especially when you will be skiing where collisions are quite common.
  • Make sure you tell your insurer about any pre-existing medical conditions you or your family may have – if you don’t, it is likely to affect your claim.
  • Check for any age restrictions
  • Do you have any expensive equipment that you should name individually? If you have a fancy digital camera, consider taking a cheaper alternative that is less likely to be nicked.
  • Check the FCO website for travel advice. If they advise against travelling in the country you will be going to, your insurance may be invalid.

Get a good range of quotes

Big Cat Travel insurance

Big Cat Travel Insurance

Big Cat specialises in affordable worldwide travel insurance well suited for Backpackers, Adventure Travellers and anyone on a Gap-Year. Policies are specially designed to offer cover up to 2 years, include all the essentials and the flexibility to be able to tailor to the needs of yourself and your travels.

A few key benefits are: free home visits, no return ticket requirement, extend cover while abroad, cover for working while abroad and ability to take out cover when already travelling, as well as over 120 sports and activities.

Click here for a quote

JS Travel insurance

JS Travel Insurance

Taking a year out before university to travel the world? - We provide comprehensive gap year travel insurance underwritten by AXA insurance UK plc.

  • Cover available from 4 months to 12 months
  • Cover includes medical emergencies and repatriation, personal liability, legal expenses and personal belongings.
  • You receive a 24 hour worldwide emergency helpline, available 365 days a year
  • Receive certificate and policy details via email and SMS message to your mobile

Category: Gap Year Travel Insurance

Click here for a quote

Direct Travel insurance

Direct Travel Insurance

Direct Travel Insurance created its Backpacker travel insurance following years of expertise, as UK specialists in single trip travel insurance and annual multi-trip travel insurance for both European and Worldwide destinations. Their Backpacker travel insurance is designed for travellers up to and including 36 years of age and can be tailor-made to fit in with your own individual travel itinerary.

Category: Gap Year Travel Insurance

Click here for a quote

Essential Travel

Essential Travel Insurance

Essential travel provide long stay cover for backpackers taking extended trips of up to 12 months. Suitable for extended trips and working holidays. There are a number of sporting activities that are covered as standard on their backpacker policies. These include Bungee Jumping, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Sailing and Canoeing.

Category: Gap Year Travel Insurance

Click here for a quote

Travel insurance tips when you’re travelling

  • Make sure you have a copy of your policy with you. A good tip is to also scan it and email it to yourself so you can get another copy if you lose your paper copy.
  • Keep the 24 hour emergency contact phone number with you at all times
  • Contact your insurance company ASAP if something happens
  • Make sure you know what to do if something happens. Your insurance company may insist you take certain action and may have companies they prefer to use. You may not be paid back for money you spend if you sort things out yourself. You usually need to fill out a police report if something is stolen and are unlikely to be able to claim at a later date if you don’t.
  • Keep all paperwork, receipts, tickets, police reports etc if something does happen.

A word of warning:
Most policies will not cover drink or drug related incidents. You must take reasonable care of your possessions or your policy will not cover you.